[sword-devel] GPL 3 licencing issues

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Mon Jul 16 23:52:57 MST 2007

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> Any of us don't actually loose anything even if someone sells our
> software illegally. Why should we then be bitter when we know that he is
> responsible in front of God the Judge?

I'm not looking to get a cut of the profits for myself or Troy or
CrossWire or anything like that. And it's not that I would fight against
someone selling the software if they obeyed the license and were
forthcoming about its identity. But I do have issues with people who
hide the fact that our software is free to download and hide the fact
that we made it, as with ThinkAll, who slapped a $60 "retail" price on
BibleCS. I guess I'm bitter about our users being ripped off.

Also, historically, the two groups who distributed Sword illegally
and/or against our wishes never updated their work. So they kept
distributing work that was 1-2 versions behind. If we can prevent that,
it's a service to our users.

--Chris