[sword-devel] French ligatures in Louis SÉGOND’s text

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Jul 16 00:39:37 MST 2007

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007, Chris Little wrote:
> Should umlauted letters be decomposed also? So a-umlaut becomes ae,
> o-umlaut becomes oe, u-umlaut becomes ue--which works fine for German,
> but I doubt for many other languages.

It doesn't work for Swedish and I think not for other Scandinavian
languages either. Definitely not for Finnish.

> The only ligatures that we could safely decompose without reference to
> language are typographic ligatures, and we would never encode those as
> ligatures in the first place.

As was said, KJV and Webster's use ligatures (IIRC the first entry in
Webster's is a ligature - or was it the last one?)

For those languages/modules where the occasions are rare, could it be
possible to add special markup inside the module? like

Then that markup could be indexed with the main text for the search.

	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland