[sword-devel] SWORD link, and other misc. comments

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sun Feb 4 23:35:29 MST 2007

Hey DM.  Thanks for pointing out the error in the manual.  Regarless of
the manual, the specification clearly states:

<xs:attribute name="osisRefWork" type="osisWorkType" use="optional"
default="Bible"/>

> There is a deprecation of the osisRefWork in favor of a new mechanism
> workPrefix, which allows one to associate specific paths with a workID.
> However, it is, in my opionion, an unnecessary complication for this
> discussion.

Where did you hear that "There is a deprecation of the osisRefWork"?

I might understand such a thing with the inclusion of a new generic
defaulting mechanism which we've been discussing, but I don't think
anything has made it into the specification yet.  The ideas for it began
when we made an attempt to address Michael Paul Johnson's concerns
regarding quote transformation for author preference and odd languages.
  I think we included the ability to give defaults for the quote tags,
with intention to open it up to any tag, but didn't think we had gone
that far yet.

There is good history on the osis-core list regarding work defaulting
and it was likely a heated discussion.  I would rather not repeat the
debate here.  It is more complicated when you start hashing things out,
and when you really think about it, is there a demand to write a
reference from a book to another book?  'Type' doesn't really meet a
demand I can think of, either.  It's just not worth the hassle, in my
opinion.  I have many other high demand items on my list that seem to
put this way off the radar.  The information you've added has been, as
always, well articulated and valuable; and I'm sure will be beneficial
in the future if we ever do have a demand (as you have suggested in a
previous email about new modules drive functionality).

How's the genbook support in jsword? ;)