[sword-devel] Tagging verses and verse lists

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Thu Dec 20 05:09:09 MST 2007

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Jonathan Morgan wrote:
> Even if we define a "must", we can do nothing to force the front end
> to follow it.  We can probably come to a consensus over what seems
> reasonable to require (and add it to the Wiki or documentation if so
> desired), but it is then up to applications to do it.

Yes, and that is the nature of things. Our library can take some
responsibility to force some standards, but not all. It has been a
problem that when the library has given some responsibility to others it
has not been well documented. This has been changing now with the active
wiki.

> If anyone has any ideas on how to get more users involved in this
> process or general Sword critique and personal desires for the
> software, I would love to hear them.  In the absence of that, your
> best bet is often to try and do things that you want, in the hope that
> others will want them to.

If critique is a good thing, I can't be blamed of not doing it. One
problem for me has been that I don't know much about the library, OSIS
etc. Many topics are very interensting and I would like to take part but
it's very hard to write anything reasonable when you don't yet
understand. This specific topic was also heavy, I had to think quite
much and read the posts again and again. Many people don't have time for
that.

Maybe we also need more courage to throw in some thoughts and respond to
them. We could for example start a wiki page or a few where we could
gather specific topics where the application developers could
co-operate. Or write down the ideas for the imaginary "Sword 2.0". When
working with BibleTime I have found wiki to be invaluable for that.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland