[sword-devel] Tagging verses and verse lists

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Tue Dec 18 07:18:45 MST 2007

"Jonathan Morgan" <jonmmorgan at gmail.com> writes:
> The main difference in ideas is that trees
> attempt to make users organise their information in a hierarchical
> manner, while tagging does not.  I  have a few problems with the idea
> of hierarchical passage lists.  You may say that they are more
> general, but that added generality does not necessarily equate to more
> usefulness.  I wish efficiency of tag creation and usage (something
> that no verse list system I have ever used has given me, because they
> are verse list centric rather than tag centric).  It is possibly more
> intuitive to tag a thing with more than one tag than to try and fit it
> into a neat hierarchy.  Tagging is certainly extremely popular,
> especially in the web world, and I think it gains considerable
> advantage from the fact that I don't have to organise my thoughts in a
> hierarchical fashion.

Nothing says that hierarchy needs to be deployed for a particular
metaphor offered to the user: Use a flat space ("1-level hierarchy") for
your particular application needs, but provide real N-level hierarchy in
the substrate, for the sake of what other applications need to do with
the same structural concept.

I use GS' hierarchical bookmarks in a manner that has many topics
re-marking a single verse over and over, because the bookmarks' topic
are different.