[sword-devel] To DM and Troy: Questions about making a module , an extract byte

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sat Aug 25 01:53:40 MST 2007

Dear Zj Li,

If you are looking to write sword modules, the only supported way is to
use the SWORD engine.  We neither encourage nor support manipulation of
the data files directly.  Not to thwart your efforts, but can you not
merely use a few simple calls to the sword engine to write your data?
There is a very short, basic console application for interactively
writing genbook data here:

http://svn.crosswire.org/sword/trunk/utilities/genbookutil.cpp

It exercises every function of genbook editing.  If you cannot call the
C++ engine directly or through any of the many binding swig produces,
you should easily be able to change the interactive menu at the bottom
of this short program into command line parameters, creating a simple
utility you can call from your application.

Regarding your specific question.  The null which separates the node
name from user data associated with the node is written here:

http://svn.crosswire.org/sword/trunk/src/keys/treekeyidx.cpp
void TreeKeyIdx::saveTreeNode(TreeNode *node) {
		datfd->write(node->name, strlen(node->name));
		char null = 0;
		datfd->write(&null, 1);

Which is actually silly; all three lines should be reduced to:

		datfd->write(node->name, strlen(node->name)+1);

But I guess it does read easier the current way.

Blessings in your work for our Lord!
	-Troy.