[sword-devel] OSIS markup

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 04:29:46 MST 2007

On Apr 30, 2007, at 2:24 AM, Chris Little wrote:

> DM Smith wrote:
>> What is the proper way to markup a note that reiterates only a part
>> of a verse and that part is the start of a quotation which use <q> in
>> the verse?
>>
>> Example:
>> The note is: (where {} indicate italics)
>> Lit {saying, ``The}
>>
>> The only things I can come up with are:
>> 1) Don't use the quote element in notes.
>> 	Lit <hi type="italic">saying,“The</hi>
>
> I think this would be my choice. Quote marks are perfectly valid in
> OSIS, you're just supposed to mark actual quotations with <q/>. Since
> this isn't an actual quotation, it seems valid to just use the mark
> itself.

I think this will be my choice as well. It is a coding pain as I
don't know until the end that the quotes are not balanced.

>> 2) Use milestoned version of the <q> element
>> 	Lit <hi type="italic">saying, <q marker“" level="1" sID="xxx"/
>>> The</hi>
>
> Don't think this is legal. An element with an sID needs to have an
> associated eID element.

I don't think it is legal as well. But it works because Sword/JSword
don't care.
Right now, this is what my transformation code produced.

>> 3) Use a continuation mark:
>> 	Lit <hi type="italic">saying, <milestone marker="“" type="cQuote"/
>>> The</hi>
>
> Don't think this is right either since it's not really a
> continuation quote.

I agree. I just knew Sword/JSword would produce the right result.

>> 4) Use milestoned version of the <q> element and close the element by
>> changing the publisher's material, adding an ellipsis.
>> 	Lit <hi type="italic">saying, <q marker="“" level="1" sID="xxx"/
>>> The ...<q marker="" level="1" eID="xxx"/></hi>
>
> The added ellipsis would be bad, but if marker="" is not equivalent to
> no marker attribute, then that would be a good solution. I'm just not
> sure about how XML defines empty attribute values.

I agree that this is bad.

In XML any attribute can have an empty value (btw, there is a unicode
close quote above) and Sword/JSword handle it properly.

But you have given me the idea to use an empty marker attribute for
the eID milestone as in:
<q marker="“" level="1" sID="xxx"/>The<q marker="" eID="xxx"/>