[sword-devel] OSIS markup

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sun Apr 29 23:24:46 MST 2007

DM Smith wrote:
> What is the proper way to markup a note that reiterates only a part
> of a verse and that part is the start of a quotation which use <q> in
> the verse?
>
> Example:
> The note is: (where {} indicate italics)
> Lit {saying, ``The}
>
> The only things I can come up with are:
> 1) Don't use the quote element in notes.
> 	Lit <hi type="italic">saying,“The</hi>

I think this would be my choice. Quote marks are perfectly valid in
OSIS, you're just supposed to mark actual quotations with <q/>. Since
this isn't an actual quotation, it seems valid to just use the mark itself.

> 2) Use milestoned version of the <q> element
> 	Lit <hi type="italic">saying, <q marker“" level="1" sID="xxx"/
>  >The</hi>

Don't think this is legal. An element with an sID needs to have an
associated eID element.

> 3) Use a continuation mark:
> 	Lit <hi type="italic">saying, <milestone marker="“" type="cQuote"/
>  >The</hi>

Don't think this is right either since it's not really a continuation quote.

> 4) Use milestoned version of the <q> element and close the element by
> changing the publisher's material, adding an ellipsis.
> 	Lit <hi type="italic">saying, <q marker="“" level="1" sID="xxx"/
>  >The ...<q marker="" level="1" eID="xxx"/></hi>

The added ellipsis would be bad, but if marker="" is not equivalent to
no marker attribute, then that would be a good solution. I'm just not
sure about how XML defines empty attribute values.

--Chris