[sword-devel] Fix for &

Karl Kleinpaste karl at charcoal.com
Wed Sep 27 21:32:20 MST 2006

DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> writes:
> Entities that are not handled via html should not be passed
> through. So, if there were an entity &disclaimer; for example, it
> should be stripped.

I believe I disagree.  If some &symbol; is unknown to Sword (say,
because some new HTML standard has come along, already implemented in
GtkHTML [which GS uses], so that a Sword module is produced which
contains it, yet Sword itself has not been updated to recognize it),
why shouldn't Sword simply pass it through?  The fact that Sword
doesn't know about &disclaimer; is no guarantee that both the module
author and the end-line HTML renderer can't be perfectly happy with
it -- Sword may quite possibly be behind the curve.

And in fact, it surely is, in a few small areas.  For example,
WinSword/BibleCS doesn't implement <u> or <font color=...>, though it
color=...> but does not have support for <sup>.  So pass the source
material and let the renderer take its best shot.

Sword is a mere middleman and handler, not a referee, between supplied
text and intended display.