[sword-devel] Sword SVN Compile Issues

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 21:38:25 MST 2006

Troy

On 9/22/06, Troy A. Griffitts <scribe at crosswire.org> wrote:
> Greg,
>         What awesome debug information!  Thank you for being so detailed and
> more so, for your persistence!
>
>         I've heard we have cygwin compile problems and was hoping someone
> familiar with autotools and cygwin might have a look and fix things.

Yes, the compile under Cygwin has not worked since 1.5.7a.  The
changes from 1.5.7a to 1.5.8 had seemed insignificant enough for me to
work with 1.5.7a, but the changes from there to 1.5.9 put me back on
the path of desiring to get it working.  Unfortunately my knowledge of
autotools is more acquaintance than it is familiar.  But the current
autotools setup is astoundingly excellent.

One thing I noticed is that passing the options --without-icu and
--without-lucence should be unnecessary, because the documentation
that I get from ./configure is that the defaults are --with-icu=no and
--with-lucene=no - so somewhere along the lines that seems to have
changed in the internals of the configure script and the internal
documentation was never updated?

>         I might be able to help with the last error.  SWORD conditionally
> compiles utilstr.cpp to include an appropriate string comparison,
> ignoring case, function.  Can you confirm that
> sword/src/utilfuns/utilstr.cpp is being compiled?

Yes, utilstr.cpp is compiled and linked into the library.  The odd
thing is that the compile only seems to fail under the buildtest.exe -
which must be calling that method.  Testing 1.5.7a in the same
environment, it produces an error at the same point in the compile -
when compiling testlib.exe - but it complains about a missing lib.
The command is

/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link g++ -g3 -O0 -Werror -DCURLAVAILABLE  -o
testlib-exe testlib.o -L./lib -lsword -lz

and the error message is:

libtool: link: cannot find library `'

It appears to be searching for a library that does not exist.  As this
did not seem to affect wxSword, I proceeded along happily at that
time.  1.5.9 dies after the following, seemingly functionally
identical, commands:

/bin/sh ./libtool --tag=CXX --mode=link g++ -O2 -DCURLAVAILABLE    -o
buildtest.exe  buildtest.o ./lib/libsword.la -lz
g++ -O2 -DCURLAVAILABLE -o buildtest.exe buildtest.o
./lib/.libs/libsword.a -L/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libcurl.a -lz

Both 1.5.7a and 1.5.9 are compiling utilstr.cpp and linking the
utilstr.o into the library.  It seems a bafflement to me that gcc/g++
seem to just lose libraries or symbols that they are searching for :-?
 The problems appear slightly different, but related.  1.5.7a was
surmountable just by linking in the proper libraries to my program -
this 1.5.9 bug might prove to be a bit more tricky.