[sword-devel] The SWORD Project for Windows 1.5.9 installerstesting

L.Allan-pbio paraclete at bibleinverse.org
Fri Oct 6 06:13:36 MST 2006

I also don't understand why the InstallManager fields can't be
pre-filled with default, valid info. Why would this convenience cause
risks? I can understand if they proceed to get modules, but not why it
is a risk just the convenience of prefilling a rather obscure part of
The SWORD Project (if not baffling) ?

I haven't used InstallManager for a while ... and was scratching my
head why the input fields wouldn't accept entry ... seemed "dead" ...
until I recalled/guessed to click on the Add button. Less than
intuitive.

Or at least prefill the fields when the Add button is pushed ... The
info for the "Repository Directory" is provided, but "Site Name" and
"Site Machine Name" are placeholders.

On Sep 29, 2006, at 7:30 PM, Geoffrey W Hastings wrote:
> Why not have Crosswire already installed as a remote site.
> I would guess that the majority of windows users would not be able
> figure this out.
>
> [New Remote Site]
> ftp.domain.org
> /pub/sword/raw/

Geoff,

This is a great question. The reason is stated in the disclaimer that
pops up when the user first installs modules: Don't use the web to
load the program if you are in a country that regularly monitors
internet activity and you might risk persecution for doing so. The
instructions, which most of us don't bother to read, give the values
needed to do the install.

So the little bit of pain we all go through to help our brethren in
those places is not too much to ask.

When you install from CD, the install establishes the original drive
of the CD as a download site.

Hope this answers your question.