[sword-devel] Problem compiling sword-1.5.9 on Fedora Core 5

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Mon Oct 2 05:48:17 MST 2006

	Excerpt from sword/INSTALL:

NOTE: sometimes clucene forgets to install some header files.  You might 
need to manually copy clucene-core-X/src/CLucene/clucene-config.h to 
your install prefix(e.g. /usr/local/include/CLucene/)

Hope this helps,


Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> Hello, Everyone
> In preparation for compiling Bibletime 1.6 on Fedora Core 5, I went to
> the following web page to get the proper instructions:
> http://bibletime.info/software_installation.html
> Having KDE 3.5.4 installed from source, I moved on to the next
> dependency.  I got the "hopefully" appropriate file by going here:
> http://clucene.sourceforge.net/index.php/Main_Page
> and then here:
> http://clucene.sourceforge.net/index.php/Downloads
> and finally, here:
> http://superb-east.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/clucene/clucene-core-0.9.15.tar.bz2
> Proceeded to compile clucene-core-0.9.15 as follows:
> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure --prefix=/usr
> make
> make install
> This appeared to proceed as desired.
> (I have no known version of clucene installed on this system other than
> the one that I have just installed.)
> I then proceeded to the instructions to compile Sword 1.5.9 for use
> with Bibletime (I ran "./configure --help" in the root of sword-1.5.9
> and of course, there appears to be no option such as
> "--without-clucene"  But I proceed according to the directions:
> ./usrinst.sh --enable-shared --without-clucene:
> The output of the above command is located here:
> http://www.afolkey2.net/sword-usrinst.txt
> There is an error message in the above linked text that seems to relate
> to, at least, icu.  Here is a list of the icu packages on our system:
> icu 3.4-6.2
> libicu 3.4-6.2
> libicu-devel 3.4-6.2
> libicu-doc.i386
> The above mentioned error did not cause "usrinst.sh" to bail.
> I then proceeded to the next step listed on:
> http://bibletime.info/software_installation.html
> make
> The output of the above command is located here:
> http://www.afolkey2.net/sword-make.txt
> As you can see, "make" bailed with CLucene related errors.  You will
> further notice the following:
> "/usr/include/CLucene/config/CompilerGcc.h:12:68: error:
> CLucene/clucene-config.h: No such file or directory"
> This is absolutely correct.  That file does not exist, so that would at
> least partially explain my dilemma.  I would assume that that file
> should have been installed when I installed clucene-core-0.9.15.  I
> assume that it is apparent that it was not installed at that time :(
> So, that's all I have right now.  As I hope you understand, I am not
> placing the fault here with Sword.  I am just here now because I
> appeared to install the version of CLucene that should work with
> Bibletime.  And I appeared to attempt the compiling of Sword 1.5.9 with
> the instructions that were provided for that purpose.
> Please let me know if this is a Bibletime issue, and I will bring my
> problem up over there.
> Have a Great Day,
> Steven P. Ulrick
> _______________________________________________
> sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org
> http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel
> Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above page

More information about the sword-devel mailing list