[sword-devel] Re: Offer help (portuguese module?)

Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA leandro at dutra.fastmail.fm
Wed May 31 07:08:46 MST 2006

DM Smith escreveu:
> Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA wrote:
>> DM Smith escreveu:
>>>
>>> On May 5, 2006, at 5:11 AM, DArio Matos wrote:
>>
>>     I have a problem with that.  The Scriptures are far too important
>> to anyone to touch.  For example, the people who have been involved
>> with PorAA up to now have shown too little respect for text integrity.
>
> Ok, ok. Anyone is welcomed to take any public domain Bible and create an
> eText from it provided that they have the utmost respect for text
> integrity and will verify their work as having that integrity....

	Yep.

> And I think Crosswire has a responsibility to not accept texts that lack
> a certain level of quality, excepting extraordinary circumstances. (It
> might be arguable that a work of mediocre quality that is unique is
> better than nothing. Which appears to be the reasoning behind keeping
> PorAA available.)

	That, and some reliance on some unspecified information by an unnamed
source I really can’t fathom.  It seems to be deference UnBounded if I
am not mistaken, but I can’t understand such deference for a misnamed
and corrupted text no one knows for sure where it came from, as several
people attested already.

>>> I think there are separate issues here.
>>> One is a technical encoding issue that the module is incorrectly
>>> encoded.
>>> Another is a textual quality issue. (missing/wrong text, ...)
>>> A third is that of ownership(copyright) and proper naming.
>>>
>>> The first one we can solve.
>>
>>     It was solved already.
>
> But it was not solved in isolation. It was the additional changes that
> caused the effort to be turned away.

	Yet without these ‘additional changes’ the text has several important
omissions.

> Yes. Because it does not further cloud the copyright questions. While
> PorAA might be in violation of copyright, as you contend it is, we have
> not been contacted by a responsible party to contest it.

	If that is the problem (only this week this has been stated), I can ask
them to.  I just wonder if it is so hard to check it ourselves.  If you
want me to scan a few pages of my Revisada and send it here or publish
somewhere I can do that.

> Yes. Because fixing the textual issues such that it matches a
> copyrighted work will infringe on copyright.

	Can you infringe more something that is infringed already?

	It already matches the work under copy rights even without the fixes.

> The other way that it might be removed is that if the Portuguese
> speaking people here would agree that it should not be available based
> on quality issues.

	What irks me is that no one else here seems to have even looked at a
copy of Versão Revisada, yet feels qualified to pontificate about PorAA
being something different.

	Now that Chris has said he will try to do that, I’m assuaged.

>>> The third requires negotiation with and permission from the copyright
>>> owner.
>>
>>     That is the course I am currently into.
>
> Keep pressing on!! And I am assuming it is not for the module that is
> currently hosted, but the one you created.

	They are the same, except for garbled and missing text, so I don’t see
how different that would be.

	IBB hasn’t been responsive in the past, but their last answer actually
gave me some hope, and I published it here already I think last year.  I
guess enough time passed for me to press them again.

	One thing I thought is that they are doing a further revision of
Revisada, named ‘Almeida Século XXI’, under the coordination of Luís
Alberto Teixeira SAYÃO, the same scholar who did our NVI (equivalent to
your NIV).  They already have the NT published.  I hope once they have
it all, perhaps they will relent on the older, but still useful, Revisada.

	But in the end, I think a better effort will be to incorporate the
Tradução Brasileira.

Leandro G Faria Corcete DUTRA       xmpp:leandrod at jabber.org
+55 (11) 5685 2219             Yahoo!: ymsgr:sendIM?lgcdutra
+55 (11) 9406 7191     ICQ/AIM: aim:GoIM?screenname=61287803
            MSN: msnim:chat?contact=leandro at dutra.fastmail.fm