[sword-devel] NET markup of poetic line breaks has missing spaces?

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon May 15 15:45:28 MST 2006

On May 15, 2006, at 2:58 PM, L.Allan-pbio wrote:

> The NET has <l /> for poetic line breaks but there isn't an
> allowance for a space if this isn't turned into a poetic line break
> (see Ps 23 for examples)

The <l>...</l> indicates whitespace. So this is appropriate.

> <hi type="italic">A psalm of David.</hi><milestone type="line" /
> nothing.<l />
>
> He takes me to lush pastures,<l />he leads me to refreshing
> water.<l />
>
> He restores my strength.<l />He leads me down the right paths<l /
> >for the sake of his reputation.<l />
>
> Even when I must walk through the darkest valley,<l />I fear no
> danger,<l />for you are with me;<l />your rod and your staff
> reassure me. <l />
>
> You prepare a feast before me <l />in plain sight of my enemies.<l /
> >You refresh my head with oil;<l />my cup is completely full. <l />
>
> Surely your goodness and faithfulness will pursue me all my days,
> for the rest of my life. <l /> </div>

This example is not valid OSIS. A <l> element can only be a child of
an <lg> element and the <lg> element does not allow for "mixed"
content. That is, in this example,
The Lord is my shepherd should be in a <l>. (and "He take me to lush
pastures," and "He restores my strength", ...)
The other problem is that the example ends in a </div> but there is
no corresponding <div>.

> With sword.exe 1.5.8 rc1 and NET 0.9.3 (using mod2vpl), there are
> missing spaces.

line break.
line break and neither does the last </l>.
So it is the near adjacency of </l> and <l> that does (there are a
few things that can be between a line end and a line begin.)

If Sword 1.5.8 does not handle this paring correctly I think it is a
bug.

In this case, I think that it would be prudent for a renderer to add
a space at the end of each line, as it would be visible only under
the most rare conditions.