[sword-devel] KJV OT encoding question

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 7 19:16:10 MST 2006

DavidTroidl at aol.com wrote:
> > At the end of many verses there is a <milestone type="x-p"/>. It only
> > occurs in the OT and in every OT book.
>
> Various versions of the Hebrew Bible use the Hebrew letter "pe" to
> indicate a blank column in the original manuscript.  This would
> indicate a "section break".
Thanks David,

I never knew that. I double checked my Hebrew scriptures from a Jewish
publisher and sure enough they were there and matched the position
indicated in the KJV module. However, it merely stood between the verses
on the same line as the end of the verse. The verses were numbered in
the margin in the middle of the verse so I couldn't tell if it was at
the end of, between or at the start of a verse.

I then checked a printed copy of the KJV and the pilcrows were there one
for one with the "pe" in the Hebrew. However, it starts the verse after
the verse number. I double checked a photocopy of an original 1611
version and its that way there also. So, unless there are any
objections, I will move them from the end of the prior verse to the
beginning of the next verse. I'll also add the marker attribute with the
actual pilcrow, so it can be easily used and be obvious to anyone
looking at the text (in a UTF-8 reader:)

In His Service,
    DM