[sword-devel] OSIS:What is the future? Who is using it now?

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sun Mar 5 18:03:23 MST 2006

A note, Tom: Taking Michael Johnson's word and accepting his opinion on
OSIS is a bit like taking Bill Gates' word on the future of Linux.
They're both on record as being opposed to the respective products that
they criticize.

Basically, OSIS is the only acceptable format for future Sword modules.
Anything submitted in another format will have to be converted to OSIS
by one of us (which will cause delays in release). Sword officially
supports the full OSIS standard. Our software does not necessarily
currently implement special behaviors for every tag, but for the most
part every tag that needs to be handled already is. (For example, we do
nothing with the <name> tag. Certainly it is imaginable that we could do
something with it like highlight or hyperlink names, but currently there
aren't any modules using this tag that I'm aware of. And our importers
do PRESERVE this information, so adding support does not require redoing
the module or reimporting--just some backend work on the
library/frontends.)

OSIS is possibly most useful and beneficial as an archival format. It is
a sufficiently rich encoding system that it can probably handle encoding
anything in your Bible. Once it is in OSIS, you can fairly easily write
XSL transforms to convert the OSIS text to another format if that is
your need.

As for STEP (I'm not sure why this was brought up), it has a decreasing
number of supporting applications. Some of its supporters have ceased
using STEP; others have simply gone out of business. And as Michael
mentions, it has no steering committee at the moment, which makes its
future rather bleak. But STEP really has a different objective from
OSIS. They serve fairly different needs.

--Chris