[sword-devel] Sapphire, module cipher

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 5 15:40:17 MST 2006

Martin,

I think that your algorithm will work for many cases, but not all. If
the sample is sufficiently large then I think that it should work with a
very high degree of success. I'm not sure what sufficiently large would
be. The way the cipher works is that it has a sliding window of 256
bytes that it works with at a time. If the cipher is highly "random" in
its creation of the next byte then within a short order a non-printable
should show up. But like tossing a coin, you can get 10 heads in a row.
It's not likely, but it is possible. It would be possible for the cipher
to produce many "printables" in a row.

I'm not a UTF-8 expert so some of what I say might be a bit inaccurate,
but it should be close enough for argument's sake;)

In the case of Chinese, nearly all bytes will be > 128
Some UTF-8 bytes > 128 are non printable, (e.g. 128 - 159)
Some byte sequences are defined as not in UTF-8 (e.g. reserved regions)
so these would be non-printable as well.

In cp1252 (the version of "latin1" used in Sword modules), some bytes in
the range of 128-159 are not defined and are not printable.

DM