[sword-devel] OSIS:What is the future? Who is using it now?

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 5 10:46:05 MST 2006

Tom,

There are a whole bunch of programs that can use OSIS encoded SWORD
modules. See www.crosswire.org for details. Often after a module has
been created, it will be converted into formats appropriate for other
systems.

I think the question as to whether OSIS has a viable future really is a
question as to whether open source projects are committed to using OSIS
in a robust and ongoing manner.

OSIS is the format of choice for all Sword Bible Modules. With very
little limitation, any Bible encoded in OSIS can be converted into a
SWORD module. The program osis2mod that does this is able to handle
almost all valid OSIS Bibles. It does expect Bibles to have books,
chapters and verses to be appropriately marked up.

The BibleDesktop program (www.crosswire.org/bibledesktop) which uses a
Java implementation of the SWORD API, JSword, converts all modules, on
the fly, to OSIS before rendering them to the user. JSword tries to
faithfully implement handle OSIS. JSword is planning to provide the
ability to use OSIS documents directly, supporting OSIS 2.1.

The OSIS standard is continuing to be actively developed and it has the
backing of several organizations. See bibletechnologies.net for more
information about it.

OSIS has a very bright future.

In His Service,
    DM