[sword-devel] Permission requested on PorAA

Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corcete DUTRA leandro at dutra.fastmail.fm
Sat Jun 17 23:51:33 MST 2006

Em Wed, 31 May 2006 10:30:09 -0300, DArio Matos escreveu:

> So, "Versão Brasileira" portuguese Bible is already in public domain;
> also, as it is already digitalized at Bíblia Online 3.0 Software; there
> is no problem taking it from there, once someone provides a proofread from
> a printed edition - so he can claim that his text is based on that
> printed, public domain edition.

OK, I just checked this with Sociedade Bíblica do Brasil.

They admit Tradução (Versão) Brasileira in in public domain, as it was
in 1917.  They say they have done an updating work on orthography and
'corrections' (unspecificied), and that they will be publishing a new
edition next year (doubtful, they have been saing so for quite some
years now).  But the 1917 text is ours to do what we want.

I don't know if the Bíblia Online contains the 1917 text or the
updated version of it.  If it is the original, good, but that will
need some proofreading.  If it is not, then we could even extract it
just as a base for a proofread in order to make it conform back to
1917, and then we can use that as a base for orthographic updates of
our own.  I don't know if it would be practical to do so, or if we
should just scan it all, OCR it and proofread.

So steps to be taken: obtain an expendable copy, scan it (I think I can
do this now, I just got a new hard disk), and perhaps a copy of Bíblia
Online (could someone do this?).

If anyone has any doubts, I can publish here my exchange with SBB.