[sword-devel] virtual modules

Greg Marine gregmarine at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 16:46:05 MST 2006

My vote would be to push it into the API. Especially since the front-end
code decides how to display it. And those front-ends who do not use this
feature aren't really hurt by having it in the API. Not all front-ends in
existence use the entire API as it stands anyway, right? (At least in my
limited knowledge of the subject). But this is just IMHO. I'm still not
familiar with all aspects of The Sword Project. I'm still trying to find
where I fit in...that is if God wants me to help...

In Christ,
Greg M.

On 1/18/06, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org> wrote:

> Greg Hellings wrote:
> > I think that the plan is a good one.  We are dealing with a large amount
> > of redundant code in the case of parallel displays.  However, what if
> > two different front-ends want to display the parallel text in different
> > ways?  BibleCS does an internlinear display, but presents that
> > verse-by-verse.  What if one person wants to do them in parallel columns
> > (doesn't MacSword do that?) and another wants to do interlinear, but by
> > lines rather than verse?  I think that would be the strongest argument
> > against pushing the functionality back into the API.
> >
> > Of course, it might be possible to push some of the parallel function
> > back into the API while still allowing that freedom for the front-ends
> > to maintain freedom of how they display the parallel passages.  But all
> > the ways of doing that that I can think of amount to only a minimal
> > saving of code for the front-ends.
>
> I'm only suggesting collating the data. How it is rendered is still the
> frontend's responsibility. I would just hand it something like:
> <verse osisID="A:bk.ch.vs">text</verse>
> <verse osisID="B:bk.ch.vs">text</verse>
> <verse osisID="C:bk.ch.vs">text</verse>
>
> or potentially:
> <verse osisID="bk.ch.vs">
> <seg type="x-parallel" subType="x-A">text</seg>
> <seg type="x-parallel" subType="x-B">text</seg>
> <seg type="x-parallel" subType="x-C">text</seg>
> </verse>
>
> If that is rendered as a list, in parallel, that's fine. If as a table,
> in columns, that's fine too.
>
> --Chris

Internet Community Church Ministries
   Because of His Grace We Serve