[sword-devel] Comparing Verses

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 13:09:37 MST 2006

Chris Little wrote:
> DM Smith wrote:
>> I think it would be good to have it be an api feature of Sword.
>> What's the possibility of getting it into the Sword API? (I know we
>> are all busy and I am not a C++ coder anymore. It's been too long.)
> There's a little complexity in that wdiff is a frontend to diff. (It
> literally runs an instance of whatever version of diff is in the path
> and processes its output.) So we would need to incorporate both wdiff
> and diff, changing the stdio piping to something that can be handled
> internally. There might be some complication if the code itself is
> especially old (or old in style) C. But this should all be pretty
> easily handled.
>
> There's one other issue, but I'll cover that in another email....
Someone has ported the GNU diff algorithm to Java (see
http://www.bmsi.com/java/Diff.java)
It is written as the diff of two arrays.
I compared the code against analyze.c in GNU's diffutils and it looks
like a straightforward port.
I think it would be trivial to port it to C++.

Appropriately, it is licensed with the GPL license.