[sword-devel] x-preverse

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 25 06:15:31 MST 2006

I think that when creating OSIS texts we should create the best OSIS
texts that we can. If SWORD's osis2mod cannot handle the richness of the
markup, then the OSIS text can be dumbed down via xslt to produce
acceptable input into osis2mod. For example, because osis2mod cannot
handle verses within paragraphs, one should not change the OSIS text to
accommodate. With regard to titles, they should be placed and marked up
where they make sense, and in these cases, it is before verse. Osis2mod
has the capability to reorder the text into a preverse.

Just a minor comment about the OSIS. According to the manual, a
milestoned element should not cross a boundary where it does not need
to. If this is a hand written example then this isn't all that
important, but if this comes from a generator, then I suggest a change.

I think that in this example that <verse eID="Ps.42.1/> is in the wrong
location. It should come within the first <lg>...</lg> as in:

<lg>
<l type="x-primary">
<verse sID="Ps.42.1" osisID="Ps.42.1" />As the deer pants for the water
brooks,</l>
<l type="x-secondary">so my soul pants after you, God.<note
type="translation">The Hebrew word rendered “God” is “Elohim.”</note></l>
</lg>
<lg>
<l type="x-primary">
<verse eID="Ps.42.1" />
<verse sID="Ps.42.2" osisID="Ps.42.2" />My soul thirsts for God, for the
living God.</l>

To:
<lg>
<l type="x-primary"><verse sID="Ps.42.1" osisID="Ps.42.1" />As the deer
pants for the water brooks,</l>
<l type="x-secondary">so my soul pants after you, God.<note
type="translation">The Hebrew word rendered “God” is
</lg>
<lg>
<l type="x-primary">
<verse sID="Ps.42.2" osisID="Ps.42.2" />My soul thirsts for God, for the
living God.</l>

The verse end markers are generally seen as being useless.
But it would be perfectly valid to place the note markers at the end of
each verse and not embedded in the verse.
Also, in a verse at a time xml processing system, the error recovery to
get a well-formed xml fragment holding verse 1 (and it's preverse) would
need to include verse 2, because verse 1 contains begin elements holding
verse 2. And verse 2 is also outside its end tag, but in this case it is
not inside a following begin tag so the fragment is now well formed.