[sword-devel] BibleCS Installer: HKCU vs HKLM

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 13 10:22:44 MST 2006

L.Allan-pbio wrote:
> Regarding use of HKCU vs HKLM (split from general Installer thread to
> be focused on this issue alone) :
>
> Here is some sample code for a custom page allowing choice of "Just
> this user" and "All Users". It is pretty stripped down just to
> illustrate the basics of how it works.
I played with this code and it works as advertised.
However, in trying to get it to work, I ran into lots of other
questions/issues.

Basically different scenarios that could happen on a machine raised
questions on what should happen:
1) Reinstall (i.e. user runs install a second time without uninstalling
first) and instead of choosing HKCU, which was the install, now chooses HKLM
2) The user only has limited install privs and chooses HKLM.
3) The user tries to install 1.5.8 as HKCU, but the application has
already been installed as HKLM.
4) User upgrades (e.g. to > 1.5.6) from a prior HKCU (e.g. <= 1.5.6) and
chooses:
    a) HKCU, or
    b) HKLM
5) User upgrades (e.g. to > 1.5.8) from a prior HKLM (e.g. 1.5.8) and
chooses:
    a) HKCU, or
    b) HKLM

I am sure there are others.

The other question I had was what should happen for a limited user install?
Can the user install to C:\Program Files?
The application writes to the installation dir for user prefs, install
sites, modules and the like. Will this work for a limited user?

If the application is installed to a shared workstation by an
administrator and the first administrator runs the program and changes
the layout to what they like, won't that be the layout that the next
administrator sees?

I also ran into a problem trying to establish $INSTDIR.
The way it should work is that the installer sets a default.
Then it looks for a prior HKLM installation and if it is present, then
the default is set to that.
Then it looks for a prior HKCU installation and if it is present, then
the default is set to that.
And it should note whether HKLM or HKCU was used to for the default and
use that as the default root when presenting to the user.
This is so that SetShellVarContext can be called appropriately (all for
hklm and current for hkcu).

NSIS provides the following commands to help:
To establish the default:
InstallDir default\dir\path
To reset the default to the prior installation, if found:
InstallDirRegKey ROOT subkey keyname

However, these cannot be in a section or in a function.
And InstallDirRegKey does not take SHCTX, forcing using either HKCU or
HKLM (or any other explicit root).
I tried calling InstallDirRegKey twice once with HKLM and once with
HKCU, but the second call is ignored upon compilation.
The further problem is that even if it could be called twice, the value
of $INSTDIR cannot be examined at each point to determine which root to
use, as StrCmp and StrCpy cannot be used outside of functions and sections.

What this would leave is not using InstallDir and InstallDirRegKey, but
in the function .onInit, simulate this behavior and establish INSTDIR
via StrCpy
and then call SetShellVarContext to set the default.

The other gotcha is that under section D.2 of the NSIS manual it clearly
states that HKCU is available to Add/Remove Programs for NT4/2000/XP and
that HKLM needs to be used for earlier systems.

Even though the HKCU may exist prior to these, it probably should not be
used at all. So this would mean adding conditional logic into whether
the page is shown or not.

Anyway, I think this is a big hurdle and is better left to a later date.
I think for now we should assume that the user is an administrator and
that all users share the one configuration.