[sword-devel] Re: [sword-support] Important

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 11 05:35:50 MST 2006

Joseph,
I posted it again to our support group. We get a lot of spam, so I
imagine it was ignored at first in the form that you sent it. The
software at CrossWire was written by volunteers from many, many
countries. It will take time for them to read and respond to the email.
I will take up this issue on another mailing list:, sword-devel. We will
discuss what can be done and what we should do.

In the last few days we got quite a few support questions about our
software and other people's software that came with it. In two different
instances the user couldn't get the program to work. We found it being
sold on Ebay (though our authorship was not being hidden). This is
becoming a problem.

The license we use is written by the Free Software Foundation and is the
GNU Public License (GPL). It is used by thousands and thousands of
software products.
The nature of this license is that our software if free in cost and
freely available as source. It does permit anyone to package the
software and distribute the software for a cost that covers the
packaging and distribution.

However, the license also has other requirements, it requires that the
license not be hidden and that the license is presented to the user as a
condition of using the software. And it requires making the program's
source code is also made available and that it is clear to the recipient
where it is if it is not delivered along side of it.

Was it free Bible software that you were after. If so, we can point you
to lots of it. (Of course, ours is the best!;)

Thank you so much for your attention to this.
    DM Smith