[sword-devel] Please vote for Sun to fix a Java bug

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 13 22:31:42 MST 2006

Troy,
	We give the user the ability to select a font for displaying
modules. We do need to allow per module preferences, including font.
But that is not the problem here. The problem is that menus, buttons,
dialogs and so forth all use a "system" font, named Lucida xxx. This
is a built in font.

	From what I understand of the problem, Farsi uses an Arabic script
with a few additions. The fundamental problem is that some glyphs are
missing and a few others don't connect to their neighbors properly.
The missing glyphs are akin to having 'I' be missing.

	I agree that it is not reasonable to expect that every language is
supported, but Sun is responsive to voting. And the work is not that
big an undertaking. They just need a bit of prodding.

	To solve it in the application is messy, but unless Sun fixes the
font, we might not have a choice.

	Interestingly, the font is correct on MacOSX.

	The problem with Hebrew is a bit different. If UTF-8 characters are
fully composed (letter and points combined into a single UTF-8 char)
then it is likely that the character is missing. But if the points
are following the letter, the composition of that character looks
bad. This is futher compounded by the ascenders and descenders being
clipped or drawn outside of the line of text. But having worked on
FlashCards, I know you know all this.

	Farsi is different because it does not combine characters with
accents to form a glyph (i.e. no accents) And it is all rendered
within the text line. And it is different in that it joins adjacent
letters in specific ways.

Thanks,
	DM