[sword-devel] How to submit a patch for Ruby SWIG bindings?

Bill Burton bburton at mail.com
Fri Dec 1 14:06:34 MST 2006

Hello,

I've been working on adding Ruby language support to the existing SWIG
bindings.  So far, the autoconf part is nearly done and I've been
working on fixing the API linkage where SWIG fails to translate or
doesn't do so in an optimal manner.  For API docs, I've been writing a
skeleton Ruby file that can be processed with Ruby's rdoc utility.
Thus far, I've been copying over the C++ Doxygen comments and then
reformatting them into rdoc format.

Questions:
* When ready, should I just submit a patch to the list or is there
some other procedure?
* Would it be better to submit more than one smaller patch or one jumbo patch?
* Since refining and testing the API is going to take some time, would
it make sense to create an svn branch to work in? I'd like to also
create unit tests and have a place for the API rdoc file to live.
* Is there anyone listening who's supporting SWIG bindings to the
other languages?  My changes shouldn't affect any of the other
languages but it wouldn't hurt to have someone test and make sure.

Thanks,
-Bill