[sword-devel] BibleCS rcF3 and TRANSLATORS

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Aug 23 07:29:18 MST 2006

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> Eeli, thanks for your offer to help.  You don't actually need Sword for
> Windows to do the translation, but it might help for testing.  If you
> have any updates, let me know:

Ok, I tried, but it's impossible to do a trustworthy translation without
seeing the context. The recent Finnish translation is bad and it will
not be better if I try to guess the meanings and best alternatives. One
could always look from dictionary or take the translation of a word from
memory, but it will lead to clumsy translation and even wrong meanings.

E.g. the "Scheme" is now translated as "Schema" which is definitely not
Finnish. Transliterated form would be "skeema" but Scheme has many
meanings and there is no direct alternative in Finnish. I should see
what it really means in BibleCS to decide what word to use.

And this is only one example.

I could try to find a friend with Windows who would let me do this but
even that would take some weeks, I think.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland