[sword-devel] NetSword -- Take 2

Jason Turner lefticus at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 06:18:50 MST 2006

I have a few things to add to this conversation. First, the sharpsword
project mentioned in the other thread never really got anywhere, but I
believe it was meant to be a complete reimplementation of sword in c#.
But you probably already knew that (I just woke up :) ).

There is a good possiblity that you could quite literally just
recompile JSword using Microsoft's free Java compiler. I started down
that road personally just for the fun of it. It would be less than
ideal, however, because Microsoft makes use of a rather extensive
java/.net compatibility layer, and even tho you would be able to use
JSword from a .net app it would not look and feel like a regular .net
library.

Thirdly, my project that Troy has already mentioned, (which I am
calling swigsword for lack of a better name) is a rewrite of the sword
- swig bindings. The "recommended" way of creating swig bindings is to
write your own header files that call out the bits that you do want,
and this is what the current sword swig bindings do. As I started to
work with sword via swig through c#, I realized that it is difficult
to maintain a reimplementation of the header files. So, instead, I am
including the original sword header files and specifically disabling
the bits that don't work, or don't work well.

I'm currently (very slowly) working on some proof of concept .net
apps, to make sure everything is working as needed. Then I really,
really need to get it submitted to the main sword subversion so that I
don't get to far out of date with the rest of sword.

As Troy has already pointed out, my sandbox for this work is here:
http://source.emptycrate.com/projects/swigsword/ fortunately, someone
else has recently gotten involved and it is becoming much more usable.

So, my point is, there is already a set of .net bindings that work
quite well. They do have the disadvantage that Sword has to be
recompiled for each platform you want to support, as well as the
library that wraps up sword and exposes it to .NET. However, both of
those are trivial under windows and gcc/mono based platforms, which is
just about everything out there.

So, feel free to join in on that effort to make the swig bindings better.

God Bless,
Jason

http://emptycrate.com Games, Programming, Travel & other stuff