[sword-devel] Tradução Brasileira status

David Cary d.cary+2004 at ieee.org
Sun Aug 13 20:56:13 MST 2006

Dear Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA,

> From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA
>         I have now a copy of Tradução Brasileira.  It is a very nice copy from
> 1949, but I haven't been able to find a book scanner yet.  I am not
> prepared to destroy it
>         I discovered book scanners are hard to come by.  There is a relatively
> cheap Plustek model around, but it is MS Windows-only and not available
> in Brazil.
>         There are the professional models, but I will have to search for some
> institution owning one of them.
>         My plans are to later scan it using Clara, and put it for proofreading
> at PGDP-EU.

Dear Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA,

I've been told that there are some really nice scanners available now.

I am very impressed by the
    Project Gutenberg Distributed Proofreaders
Their FAQ has some scanner recommendations.
There are some more suggestions at

Many modern book "scanners" photograph the left and right pages using
commercial off-the-shelf digital cameras -- rather than "scanning" the
page with a light bar.

If you can't find an institution that has an adequate book scanner,
and you don't want to buy a new one, perhaps you could build something
like the "BookDrive"
-- it is a frame to hold a digital camera, to hold some lights, and to
hold a book.

Perhaps you could donate the frame to some library after you are done.

Perhaps someone at that library would help build such a device, and
help scan your Book.

David Cary