[sword-devel] CLucene

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 13 17:32:27 MST 2006

Joachim,

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure that CLucene's sort would product
the right results.
IIRC, we store the OSIS ids and these are what need to be sorted into
Biblical Order.

If it were true that the verses (aka lucene documents) were added in
order then one could use the ordering of the document ids (Java
Lucene's default sort) to produce the correct order, but if there are
any out of order adds then that would not work.

Currently the algorithm for building the index will create an index
with document order equal to canonical order. However, write support
has not been added to an index yet. That is if the application re-
writes a verse in the index, the Lucene index is not updated. When
update support is added to the index, then document order sort
becomes meaningless.

It is possible to sort on a field, but even then the ordering of OSIS
ids would not return the right results. We want Gen to sort earlier
than Exo.

DM