[sword-devel] Ubuntu

Zac Brown rufius at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 14:10:59 MST 2006

Generally Slackware, Arch Linux (if its i686), or Debian will run well if
you use a conservative window manager (icewm, blackbox, fluxbox,
enlightenment etc.). Another way to save some processing is by rebuilding
the kernel and tailoring it to your needs, basically taking out things that
you'd probably or never will use.

On 4/21/06, David J. Ring, Jr. <n1ea at arrl.net> wrote:

> Unfortunately with the distributions I've tried, I find they run much
> slower
> on older machines - much slower than Windows XP - which surprises me.  I
> have one machine that is a Pentium 3 at about 550 MHz with 64 MB RAM and
> it
> is slower than a slothful man at work time.  Ringht now I'm running on
> Mandriva Linux 2006 and it just creeps when doing anything.
>
> Anyone have a recommendation for a linux distro that runs quickly on old
> machines?
>
> Best Wishes,
>
> David Ring
> Green Harbor, MA