[sword-devel] KJV 2006 5th beta

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 4 10:58:16 MST 2006

Part of the point of this beta was to get input on the use of
capitalization in the KJV. I appreciate yours.

Terry T Biggs wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 08:11 -0400, DM Smith wrote:
>
>> Do you handle the following cases? The lower case letters should be -1
>> after upcasing.
>> See Jer 23.9 for a multi-word divine name: "The Lord is our
>> Righteousness" (This is from Jehovah-tsidkenu)
>>
> This is in all upper case (not small caps) and I think should be upper
> case in the module - Zech 14.20 also.
>

>> See Dan 5.25 and Acts 17.23 for typical inscriptions. "Mene, Mene,
>> Tekel, Uparshim" and "To an Unknown God"
>>
> Shouldn't these be upper case in the module text?

These certainly are all uppercase in the KJV text. So are all the other
inscriptions.

The original text was
    "TO AN UNKNOWN GOD",
I have represented it as
    "<inscription>To an Unknown God</inscription>".

Using xslt this can be rendered all caps, as in: (this is simplified)
<xsl:template match="inscription">
  <xsl:value-of select="translate(., 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz',

'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ')"/>
</xsl:template>

I think it is important to faithfully represent the original KJV 1769
text as closely as possible. I would like to know if this constitutes a
violation of that principal.

I'm really interested in people's opinions as to whether this is an
equivalent change. And whether it should be done at all.

(Personally, I don't think the inerrancy or infallibility of God's word
is affected by the capitalization of these things.)