[sword-devel] BDB?

Dickinson Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 25 05:19:19 MST 2005

<note disclaimer="IANAL">
Not really. The copyright laws changed duration from
something like 17 years to something like 75 years.
When this happened there was a lot of material that
was older than 17 years but less than 75 (or whatever
the durations actually were). If an individual or
group had legally obtained them, they became a
"reliance party". People who had legally obtained
these texts could keep them for their personal use.
People/groups who legally distributed them could
continue to legally distribute them if the owner did
not challenge their distribution. When given a notice
of intent to enforce copyright laws, those that
distributed them had to stop. So the distributor
cannot continue to distribute what they used to have
the legal right to distribute.
</note>

>From a technical perspective, it is possible at times
to go to the "wayback machine" and get old files.
Often zips are corrupt as is in the case of the
original naves.zip, which is distributed on crosswire.
BDB, the files in question, is not present on the
wayback at all, but links to it are.

>From a ethical perspective, the burden is now upon the
individual to be honest before God and not violate
copyright laws by downloading from there.