[sword-devel] libsword project files missing papyriplain.cpp?

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 11 05:36:23 MST 2005

Lynn Allan wrote:

>For now, the vc8 compiler is free (until May, 2006, I believe ... MS
>will even pay shipping for the full Visual Studio DVD), which isn't
>the case with vc6 and vc7.x. This might expand the number of
>developers who could be involved, which seems like a plus.

Did you read the license agreement for the beta? I haven't but I bet it
is just like all the other ones from MS that I have. If so, you will be
entitled to use it up to the public release after which you agreed to
remove the pre-production version. Or are they doing something different?

As to maintaining build files for each version of a build system, it is
a maintenance problem. The way we have handled it in JSword is that we
support build systems for active developers. If after two or more
releases that require build changes, if no changes have been made to
prior build systems, they are deleted (after posting on the developers
mailing list of course.)

The bigger problem that I have is that each upgrade cycle is not
necessarily backward compatible. I think that it is incumbent on us as
open source developers to continue to develop open source code,
preferably one that can be built by open source tools on all platforms.
There is a significant difference between free (no cost) and Free (full
availability of the source with no strings attached) when it comes to
the tools that we use. (As a Java programmer, I hope to be able to use a
Free java compiler for JSword. Currently we use the free one from Sun.)