[sword-devel] Re: sword-devel Digest, Vol 19, Issue 30

Chris Umphress umphress at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 23:53:01 MST 2005

> >From the design point of view of a language, i18n should be an after thought
> unless you have built in strings (and even in java they're a class) with the
> exception of making sure your character types are able to hold Unicode bytes
> instead of just ASCII. Also I can think of at least two good tool
> kits/libraries for doing localization and internationalization of programs.
> gettext which lots of gtk (straight C) based programs use, and qt's (C++)
> built in internationalization stuff. So there *is* support, it's not not
> necessarily wide spread because I'm not sure how windows handles it. But in
> terms of i18n or being able to internationalize or localize a program that
> should be up to the programmer on how to do it, not the language since
> different programs have different needs.

I agree.

Windows 2k/3 and XP have better support for UTF-8 built into the
operating system than their predecessors, but it almost requires a
.NET compiler to take advantage of the UTF-8 capabilities of Windows
(sorry guys, UTF-8 classes aren't Java-specific). GTK and QT both have
ports to the Windows platform that can be used -- there are lots of
options, but many people only have one language for their interfaces
(and yes, I am guilty of this too).

--
Chris Umphress <http://daga.dyndns.org/>