[sword-devel] Re: Importing from biblegateway.com

Jack Lewis jacklewis2 at gmail.com
Sun May 15 09:04:50 MST 2005

JH wrote:
> Jack Lewis wrote:
>> Disclaimer: IANAL.
> Same here.
>> Reverse engeering for compatability is legal in the United States and
>> Europe.  Examples include Samba, WINE, Accolade vs. Sega, Linux (from
>> UNIX), Kaffe (from Java).  Here is some info:
> As I understand it, (I have not looked into this in a while and the law
> may have changed, I hope it did) while it is in some cases legal to
> reverse engineer, it is not legal to circumvent an accesses control.
> There was not even an exclusion to the law for public domain texts,
> which was discussed when exclusions were considered. So, if the software
> that the work is accessed through can be considered to have an access
> control, circumventing that access control by reverse engineering would
> not be legal.

Yes, that's what the The Digital Millennium Copyright Act does.  It
prevents circumvention, but is interesting there have been exceptions to
that law:

But of course, the DMCA has been upheld in circumvention:

Fortunately, I don't see circumvention in this case.  I see creating
comptability with other formats.