[sword-devel] 1.5.8 bugs

Justus Piater Justus.Piater at ULg.ac.be
Mon Mar 21 07:59:05 MST 2005

"Krzysztof Bialas" <krzbia at ctm.gdynia.pl> wrote on Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:01:02 +0100:

> I've invested quite some time into developing an example osis file
> showing off the problems with osis2mod/Sword for windows 1.5.8pre3
> that are (in my opinion) 1.5.8 blockers. These are stated in the
> forum message
> http://www.crosswire.org/forums/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=274.

I have converted another Bible to OSIS 2.0.1 format, and xml2gbs
(1.5.7 Linux) crashes half-way through. If I take only parts of the
Bible, it completes, but all verses are empty.

After running it in the debugger and looking at the source, it seems
that the problem is due to unhandled elements or unanticipated ways of
nesting elements.

At this point I stopped investigating because I don't think there's
any hope of ever parsing OSIS XML correctly using an ad-hoc parser;
OSIS is way too complex and very flexible. A clean solution would
require that xml2gbs be rewritten to employ an external XML library
(e.g., libxml2 from http://xmlsoft.org/).

It is not up to me to judge whether this blocks 1.5.8.

Justus

--
Justus H. Piater, Ph.D.         http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~piater/
Institut Montefiore, B28        Phone: +32-4-366-2279