[sword-devel] language of module descriptions

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 20 06:39:20 MST 2005

I don't think it is a good idea to hold all the translations in the
conf. I think translations should be in separate files. I think that
this will minimize corruption, aid maintenance of the files and speed

I would like to suggest that we *consider* the *design* of Java's
mechanism for Internationalization and Localization, called
ResourceBundles. (The implementation details are not important)
Here is a simplification:
A resource bundle consists of (key,value) pairs in files of a predefined
extension.
The name of the resource bundle is of the form name.ext, name_lang.ext
or name_lang_locale.ext.
Name.ext is regarded as the default resource bundle. All others are
variants.
Given a user's language and locale a key is looked up in the following
fashion:
    Look first for name_lang_locale.ext for the key's value.
    Failing that look in name_lang.ext for the key's value.
    Failing that look in name.ext for the key's value.
    Failing that report an error.
(In practice, a user's lang/locale determines the possible set of files
and these are merged in core into a single representation)
I don't know if we need to go to the level of localization, but we
should define the mechanism. Perhaps, Australian English and American
English are different enough to warrant separate files. (In one job I
did, this was the case!)

The practical implications of this is that a translation is only done on
the keys that are needed. These are held in separate files. (We could
also use directories rather than suffixes to hold the lang and locale
info.) This means that the values that software needs to do its job are
held in the default file. If software wants to use the other info it
can, but it won't need to even look at it otherwise.

The nice thing about the proposal above, is that it does not require
that one language (e.g. English) and locale (e.g. UK) be the default.

Since the majority of the translatable info is related to copyright, we
may need to consider what language is used as the default. It may be
possible that the publisher provides specific text and it differs from
the vernacular of the text.

(By the way, it is no advantage to JSword if this mechanism is used. The
conf's are significantly different from Java's property files that we
will have to write our own lookup routines)