[sword-devel] Searching and Lucene thoughts

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Mar 2 12:53:57 MST 2005

No. Standard Sword searches just start at the beginning and search to
the end, byte by byte.

Just on the basis of the abstract you link to, I don't see how this
would be of any benefit. The Boyer-Moore algorithm is very
language-specific. It benefits from the fact that English is a
predominantly suffixing language, as are most European languages, I
would say. Personally, I have difficulty imagining how this actually
speeds search times, but I assume they've done testing and that their
claims are accurate.

The standard linear search is the most general purpose search algorithm,
and I think general purpose is what we need to maintain. For people who
want faster searches, there is indexed searching available.

--Chris