[sword-devel] Porting BibleTime to Windows -- trying to build a developer community

Martin Gruner mg.pub at gmx.net
Fri Jun 17 01:19:42 MST 2005

Perhaps this is a good time to introduce some thoughts that Joachim and I had
together when we thought about the future of BibleTime.

We are just about to release version 1.5, which will be the best release of
BibleTime ever, because we (mainly Joachim) put a lot of work into bugfixing
and now do have people who systematically test BibleTime and give us QA-style
feedback.

It has been mentioned that QT4 will be free for Windows. We therefore decided
to try and port the existing codebase to QT, making it more cross-platform,
and release the port as 1.6 without adding new major features. Many technical
details are unclear yet, but we know that we will use KHTML for rendering,
and will have to include a few KDE classes in our sources for the port. Later
we can try to substitue them with own code, if possible. For now, the easiest
way seems to be development on Linux, and using MinGW for cross-compiling to
create Windows binaries. The main advantage of this plan is that all the work
that has gone into BibleTime so far can be kept and extended, so that Windows
users can immediately benefit from it.

For BibleTime 2.0 we are considering a major restructuring/rewrite, but that
will only be after a port and after more discussion.

Is anybody interested in this plan? We are tired of doing 1/2 man development
and would like to create a community of developers who can share the work /
responsibilities. This is still the early planning phase, so if you are
interested, please speak up, and join bt-devel.