[sword-devel] OSIS formatting

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 12:42:21 MST 2005

DM,
You are correct. When the style="" tag is omitted, and the various classes
that Troy pointed out are used, then most of the formatting that can be done
with ThML can also be done with OSIS. However, the fact remains that since
ThML is built off of HTML, the importers for Sword accept the style="" tag
from a ThML-encoded file. However, they do not accept that attribute if the
input is OSIS. I have been using Bibletime to display highly formatted texts
which include colored fonts, backgrounds, borders, table spacing and widths,
etc and when the information is encoded with ThML and style="" tags
containing a very wide range of CSS then the formatting is preserved
beautifully. It is all completely ignored by Bibletime if the input is OSIS.

That said, I appreciate most of the formatting that can be done with CSS. It
allows for a much larger range of display characteristics than OSIS's very
small selection of text-only formatting. If Bibletime and/or Sword would
accept CSS formatting from a style="" tag in OSIS, then my problems would
mysteriously vanish into thin air, but for the time being the wider range of
ThML-allowed formatting thrrough the availability of CSS has influenced my
choice of formatting to be ThML. As an alternative, Sword might allow a
user-defined XSL or even CSS to be specified with each module to define
formatting on a per-module basis so that the distinction between data and
presentation (which is inherent to XML's purpose) may be maintained.

--Greg