[sword-devel] Re: sword-devel Digest, Vol 15, Issue 13 Error Handling

RLRANDALLX at aol.com RLRANDALLX at aol.com
Fri Jun 10 18:18:00 MST 2005

In a message dated 6/10/2005 12:03:57 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
sword-devel-request at crosswire.org writes:

Hey  Daniel,
Thanks for the catch, but we don't check for  successful memory
allocation anywhere in the engine.  I'm not sure  what we'd do if we ran
out of memory.  Gracefully degradating from  such a state is a complex
problem.  Also, our engine doesn't use  try/catch/throw error handling,
so throwing anything would cross a  consistency line.  Note: not debating
that we SHOULDN'T use exception  error handling, only that we currently
do not

Troy,

Wearing my QA hat, I think we ought to plan on using try/catch/throw error
handling pretty soon.  How about after your sabbatical?:) Also can we set  some
standard for garbage collection?  For example when we construct a  temporary
object is the deconstructor working properly to clean things up? I'm  not a
C++ programmer, so maybe you have some better ideas to help keep  us from
running out of memory.

In His Grace,
Robin

E-mail: RLRandallX at aol.com