[sword-devel] BibleCS Installer

L.Allan-pbio paraclete at bibleinverse.org
Fri Dec 16 12:19:13 MST 2005

Just wondering .... has there been any progress on the biblecs installer?
The last svn note seems to be from mid-Sep.

It has been a while since I've looked at it, but I believe the prototype
from the previous email had illustrative approaches for some/most of the
questions brought up in the Sep email. My email from the sword-devel list
has been irratic, so perhaps I missed something.

A related question, would it be possible/appropriate to modify
SwMgr::findConfig to look in a "sibling subdirectory" without using
SWORD_PATH?

//existing .... remains
 if (FileMgr::existsFile(".", "mods.conf")) {
  DEBUGSTR("found\n");
  stdstr(prefixPath, "./");
  stdstr(configPath, "./mods.conf");
  return;
 }

//proposed addition ....
DEBUGSTR("\nChecking sibling directory 'resources' for mods.conf...");
if (FileMgr::existsFile(".", "../resources/mods.conf")) {
  DEBUGSTR("found\n");
  stdstr(prefixPath, "../resources");
  stdstr(configPath, "../resources/mods.conf");
  return;
 }

// or alternative proposed addition .... or both???
DEBUGSTR("\nChecking parent directory for mods.conf...");
if (FileMgr::existsFile(".", "../mods.conf")) {
  DEBUGSTR("found\n");
  stdstr(prefixPath, "../");
  stdstr(configPath, "../mods.conf");
  return;
 }

This might simplify life for apps like LcdBible and wxSword .... otherwise
they ought to fuss with SWORD_PATH. (there can be a lot that can go wrong
with the uninstaller) On Windows, a "family of sword-api apps" might install
as follows:
C:\Program Files\CrossWire\resources
C:\Program Files\CrossWire\resources\mods.d
C:\Program Files\CrossWire\resources\modules
C:\Program Files\CrossWire\The SWORD Project
C:\Program Files\CrossWire\LcdBible

Another alternative is to allow LcdBible.exe to be installed in the same
directory as sword.exe (aka biblecs). Would that be ok? The issue is
avoiding a proliferation of resources being redundantly installed.

And another alternative would have mods.d and modules be directly "under"
CrossWire
C:\Program Files\CrossWire\
C:\Program Files\CrossWire\mods.d
C:\Program Files\CrossWire\modules
C:\Program Files\CrossWire\The SWORD Project
C:\Program Files\CrossWire\LcdBible

There may be problems/issues with the above that I am ignorant about.

***********************
****** Oct 19 ***********

YAPI ... yet another proto installer ... for biblecs ...

This is closer to the full StarterKit version with (older versions of)
sword.exe icu*.dll, InstallManager, and also the KJV.
http://lcdbible.sourceforge.net/misc/BibleCsStarterKitSetup_ReleaseExe_9Mb.zip

Here is a smaller version with stubs for sword.exe, icu*.dll,
InstallManager.exe, and no resources. It includes the nsis script, and
(should be) everything needed to build the BCS_TEST_VERSION (not
necessarily the BCS_RELEASE_VERSION).
http://lcdbible.sourceforge.net/misc/BibleCsStarterKitSetup_proto.zip