[sword-devel] QT4 ..............

Wade Maxfield wmaxfield at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 09:40:17 MST 2005

Several things I've noticed:

  1) Kylix is dead. I tried to get it to run on Ubuntu and had to give
up.  (I've been playing with Linux since version 1.0)  I'm certain I
could get it running, but it was too much effort. By extrapolation,
the associated compiled files would break.  Even RHEL 4 is too much
work (see Centos 4 for the unbranded version of RHEL4)

  2) .NET is ECMA standard. It introduces C#, C++, VB, J# as managed
code.  Managed code has no pointers and handles memory usage.  It
compiles to MSIL (Microsoft intermediate language) and is
interpreted/run with a just-in-time compiler on each platform.
The engine to run .NET is called CLR (common language runtime).

 3)     Novell has started a .NET implementation for linux called
mono.  (http://www.go-mono.com).  It is in version 1.18, and actually
works.

 4) Windows Forms is being implemented for Mono by Novell.

 5) You can get the .NET SDK for free from microsoft.    The sdk
includes their C# compiler and Visual Basic compiler for .NET.  free.

 6)  There is a free IDE for c# and vb.net at
(http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/downloads.asp)  (it is GPL), but only
works in windows.  It points you to all the download sites for the
Microsoft stuff.

 7)  The .NET standard is now supported by Borland.

 8) The .NET standard is becoming available for Macintosh.

Maranatha!
wade