[sword-devel] Any info about C.R.O.S.S. ?

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Tue Apr 26 21:47:06 MST 2005

CROSS is the format developed by Epiphany for Bible Explorer 3.0+.
Epiphany & WORDsearch (which was based on STEP) merged and, in the
process, magically decided they no longer owed me money for work I did
on a book for the former (yeah, I'm a little bitter). WORDsearch dropped
STEP and went with Bible Explorer's codebase.

CROSS is just "compiled" (X)HTML. It's Unicode "compliant", at least to
the extent that it can render Unicode. (They might still use some
non-Unicode fonts, I don't remember; and it's been a while since I
looked at their software. I know nothing about how well they handle
non-Latin input/search.) It's not a bad system for rendering, per se,
but it's also about as un-revolutionary as possible. Their renderer is
MSIE, though they might do a little XML-magic to handle special tags
within the engine. Nothing to see here, folks.

Proprietary? yes... well... except for the HTML part, but modules are
binary and (I would hope) encrypted anyway

OSIS 'competitor'? hahahah. :) Aside from the not "Open" part :), CROSS
(i.e HTML) is basically a presentation format. An OSIS to CROSS XSLT
might be a smart thing for them to write at some point, but the purposes
of OSIS and CROSS are orthogonal.

--Chris