[sword-devel] How about the OT's standard versification at Sword ?

Jonathon Blake jonathon.blake at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 13:53:05 MST 2005

Chris wrote:

> Bibles all have (roughly) the same 66 books (give or take a testament).

The standard protestant canon is 66 books in length.
The Ethiopiac Canon is 81 books in Length,
The Syriac Canon is 5 books in length.

> So knowing or not knowing the language of the text is irrelevant.

When switching between verse systems, one has to know at least basic
grammar and vocabulary, to know where to make the verse changes.

>actually have some  other v11n,

Wondering how many people can find Daniel 13 in a hard copy of the
Duey Reims.(?sp).

>altered to approximate the KJV v11n system.

So your claim is that it is better to have no Bible, than one with a
possibly unexpected v11n?

> individuals who have never encoded a document in XML do not do a very good job the first time.

When you clean up document, write down what you had to do, and send it
to the person who created the module.  That way they can learn what
errors to not make.

The first couple of times it might take more of your time, than doing
it from scratch. The end result will be a large team that can create
modules correctly.

>We believe that decision was already made by its actual translators

When the OSIS standard has clearly defined markup for v11n, and The
Sword Project executables can utilize that markup, then insisting upon
original  v11n makes sense.

Until then, accept modules with a v11n scheme that fits the one
currently used by The Sword Project.  This is one area where people
are forgiving of errors, if there is a note explaining why the changes
were made.

>it is not reasonable to believe that work done by hand will be
without mistakes.

There is an extremely long tradition of tra scribing the  TNK by hand,
and error free.

> When we support other v11n systems in Sword,

And the timeline for this conversion is?

>we will use that data to convert between systems rather than whatever
ad hoc methods you might be imagining.

The issue here is v11n markup.

You can recast the Bible versions that don't use the KJV as KJV now,
and be willing to change them back to the original v11n scheme, when
The Sword Projects directly supports the scheme.

[One solution would be to mark up with both the KJV and standard (for
the version) v11n scheme, using a "private" addition to the OSIS
markup. Then when The Sword Projects recognizes the original v11n
scheme,  use sed to change the tags to the OSIS format.]

xan

jonathon
--
A Fork requires: