[sword-devel] Information for beginning Windows BCB 6 Developers

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Apr 20 03:30:34 MST 2005

My apologies, I misinterpreted your previous message in the same way
that Lynn did, since that's the more common angle from which the "GPL
and Win32 system libraries are not compatible" argument is made.

But my second paragraph ("This is a non-issue.") still stands.

For the sake of argument, let's assume that EULAs actually have some
legal weight. This MS EULA is basically a piece of FUD propaganda and an
attept to stifle/discourage FOSS development. It succeeds by presenting
a number of lies stated as facts and making all of its statements in
intentionally obfuscated language.

But the whole section can be boiled down to a few senteces.
1) You may not use Microsoft's libraries in software that uses viral
open source licensing which would require that Microsoft open source its
libraries.
2) Examples of such libraries include: GPL/LGPL, Artistic, MPL, NPL,
SCSL, SISL, & Apache.

Okay, that's a slight over-simplification. If you go to the trouble of
parsing the whole paragraph, you'll see there are many other inane
claims and implications made in just that section of the license.

Obviously licensing software like a Sword frontend that links the MFC
library does not force MS to GPL the MFC library. Anyone who thought
that would be unbelievably stupid. But creating fear of GPL software,
suggesting that using it will mean you lose rights to your work, etc. is
part of MS's method of coping with their own fear of GPL software and
with the threat that it poses to their business model. They know very
well that developers' liscensing of their own products cannot impose any
licensing requirements on MS or MS properties, so it's a fairly blatant
attack on free software.

The GPL's exemption of system libraries like MFC renders void this whole
paragraph, at least to developers of GPL software (or any of the other
licenses listed as "examples").

So, like I said, this is a complete non-issue.

--Chris