[sword-devel] Information for beginning Windows BCB 6 Developers

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Tue Apr 19 01:45:59 MST 2005

Krzysztof Bialas wrote:
> Chris,
> BCB6 is freely available with a personal license - and such can be used
> as long as sword is not involved in commercial activity (I do not know
> whether it still holds or how long it will hold).

BCB6 Personal isn't reasonable for development purposes. The personal
version can't be used for debugging, making it basically useless. We try
to maintain the BCB6 projects so that people can compile projects that
have already been developed and debugged and maybe for people who want
to submit patches for minor enhancements that wouldn't need a full debugger.

 > I believe that the
> best thing for an OpenSource project is to use free and generally
> available tools so that anyone can join the project without additional
> cost to buy tools. But for now what options do we have for BibleCS? Is
> it Borland or nothing? Should BibleCS be abbandoned in favour of
> BibleDesktop or BibleStudy?

BibleDesktop is Java, so not reasonable. I'm not aware of the current
state of BibleStudy, but last I checked it wasn't very full-featured or
under much continued development. And being wxWindows-based prevents it
really being a great Win32 app, in my opinion.

A new from-scratch .NET/MFC-type app or a QT4 port of BibleTime (once
QT4 for Win32 is released) would be better options, I think.

> Unfortunatelly I have to confirm that sword does not build in recent
> Cygwin baling out on configure script during Makefile generation.
> -------
> checking for curl-config... /usr/bin/curl-config
> curl found - remote install options available
> configure: creating ./config.status
> config.status: creating Makefile
> config.status: creating lib/Makefile
> config.status: creating tests/Makefile
> config.status: creating tests/cppunit/Makefile
> config.status: creating \
> .infig.status: error: cannot find input file: \

Do any of our autotools people have an idea how to fix this?

--Chris