[sword-devel] module making problem - U_INVALID_CHAR_FOUND

DM Smith dmsmith555 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 04:47:17 MST 2005

I am not entirely sure that it is a bug in ICU. I think it is a "feature".

ICU does not recognize any valid characters in the reserved ranges of an
encoding. (Not sure I am using proper terminology here.) For example
ISO-8859-1 (aka Latin 1) identifies everything between 128 and 159 as
undefined. However, this range is used by cp1250 (and other cp125x and
cp1521), which are Microsofts variants on ISO8859. Many people
mistakenly refer to cp1250 as Latin-1. It is not.

Many of the non UTF-8 modules contain non Latin-1 characters. When
converted to UTF-8, it will fail. And when coming back to Latin-1, it
will not be present.

If we were to identify to the conversion routine what encoding was used,
then it might work. I say might, because I ran across a few OSes that
did not have the MS encodings on them. (e.g. IBM mainframe, Sun Solaris
at least through 7, early versions of Linux [ but have not looked lately ]).