[sword-devel] Re: Christian Debian distro talk / Report

Tommy Baker tglennbaker at comcast.net
Tue Apr 5 10:33:08 MST 2005

Michael Riversong wrote:

>Due to a very packed schedule, i haven't sounded off yet on this topic.
>Starting about a year ago, i tried to set up a Christian Linux
>distribution.  Knoppix was a primary inspiration.  Basically, i got
>stuck on copying ISOs and never managed to break out of that.  So what i
>ended up with was a non-bootable but coherent collection of Bible files,
>study materials, and of course eSword for Windows users.  The current
>version has been distributed privately and locally at a slow pace.
>
>As a teacher at a small Christian school, i know that this would be
>extremely useful at other schools.  It is also i think useful for
>smuggling into countries where Bible study is restricted, and for
>students on tight budgets.

Hello,

I am new to the community.  I use Xandros with Bibletime and
Gnomesword2.   I think they are excellent tools for a Linux distribution
geared toward Bible College and Seminary.  What is lacking as for as
advanced biblical studies could be added to a Bibletime based Debian
distro  for KDE or GnomeSword2.  For example while the Greek text
modules can show conjugation and declinsion of the text words a means to
show a textual critical apparatus is lacking( as with most Greek based
software ).  This is very helpful for the student wishing to reserch for
him or herself the possible readings of the text rather than a wholesale
acceptance of Wescott/Hort, Nestle/Aland, UBS or Textus Receptus for
that matter.  While Sword offers a wonderful collection of commentaries
and dictionaries there needs to be some additions such as J.B.
Lightfoot, Wescott, Godet and some of the older conservative Greek text
based commentaries.  I forget the name but there was a turn of the
century Greek NT commentary of multi-volumes that may well be in public
domain.  Students also need access to  the liberal and critical
commentaries that are addressed through dialogue in the more
conservative commentaries.  Apolegetics and polemics in the theological
community benefit from both orthodox and unorthodox materials.

ISBE is a great dictionary. What is lacking is something similar to the
Theological Dictionary of the New Testamnet or the more conservative
NIDNTT.  A thorough lexicon like Lidell and Scott would be helpful.
While this continues to be in publication with modifications by
additional editors there are several competing lexicons from the
mid-1800's to early 1900's that are no longer in print.

Thanks for your time,

Tommy